2020: Will BSD and Linux be relevant anymore?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Jul 25 16:59:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 12:35:17PM +0200, Michael Cardell Widerkrantz wrote:
> "Mike." <the.lists at mgm51.com>, 2011-07-19 20:52 (+0200):
> >
> > Perhaps the real question should be - how much longer will the
> > desktop be relevant?
>
> I think it depends on what you mean by desktop. Traditional heavy PCs
> might begin to disappear but people using mobile devices such as
> smartphones might want to connect their devices to better monitors and
> (better) keyboards. That's sort of a desktop.

Another interpretation:

The desktop is not relevant to me.  All my computers running general
purpose OSes are laptops and servers these days.  Some of them are both.
None of them are "desktops", in that they do not sit at or on a desk with
external monitor, keyboard, and pointing device attached, ready to be
used as workstations.