2020: Will BSD and Linux be relevant anymore?

C. P. Ghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Thu Jul 21 18:25:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 05:13:56PM +0100, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
>>
>> Also, due to the nature of the course-work I absolutely could not work
>> with anything other than UNIX and so I have to select my hardware
>> around my choice of OS which of course is FreeBSD.
>
> This is a bigger deal than people might realize.  If Android actually
> exposed more of the Linux underpinnings it might be somewhat useful to
> me, but as it stands it is essentially just a toy.  Unless and until I
> get a full-power OS (preferably a real BSD Unix) on a tablet, no amount
> of peripherals, ubiquitous network connection, and internal power will
> make up for the simple fact it's just a damned toy.

Full ack!

I was considering buying one of those new ARM-based ASUS tablets (1)
to do some ARM assembly programming. Of course, I'd have liked to
replace Android with FreeBSD/arm or another BSD (or even Linux), but
I'm not sure it can be done already. So I'm holding off, because I
don't need a toy, I need a fully working OS on that thing, an OS with
a full suite of compilers etc...

(1): http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-TF101-A1-10-1-Inch-Tablet-Computer/dp/B004U78J1G

> Chad Perrin [ original content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]

-cpghost.