2020: Will BSD and Linux be relevant anymore?

Jamie Paul Griffin jpg at gnix.co.uk
Thu Jul 21 16:13:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 07:28:24PM -0400, Daniel Staal wrote:
> --As of July 20, 2011 5:45:49 PM -0400, David Jackson is alleged to have
> said:
>
> > but you also have scanners, cameras, joysticks, capture devices for video,
> > and so on that many common users love to use. A lot of people use
> > computers for writing, home and office business work, and gaming, and
> > given the choice between a 3" screen and a 20" screen, you want a 20"
> > screen. Even facebook is better on a 20" screen.
> >
> > I stand by what i said, mobile is great for use on a subway, but when you
> > get home, you really want a nice 20" screen to work on, and the bigger
> > hard drive and faster CPU.
>
> --As for the rest, it is mine.
>
> *All* of which can be connected to a tablet just as easily as a desktop.
> (Well, except for a faster CPU.)  I know people who do so.
>
> Current tablets have USB, Bluetooth, and HDMI/Displayport.
>
> Can you do everything on a tablet that you can on a dedicated desktop?  No.
> But you can do most of it, especially if the people writing the software
> and designing the add-ons know that's the market they have to work with.

Adding a variety of devices to a tablet still wouldn't make it an attractive option for me. I can't imagine doing my CS degree course-work on one of them, it would be a nightmare. I even found working on a laptop frustrating given the length of study sessions sometimes.

Also, due to the nature of the course-work I absolutely could not work with anything other than UNIX and so I have to select my hardware around my choice of OS which of course is FreeBSD.