virtualbox 4.0

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Jul 21 13:38:24 UTC 2011

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On 21/07/2011 09:48, Minipot Gregg wrote:
>> It installed fine but when I got to the boot menu and pressed [enter] x2 it
>> said CPU doesnt support longmode
>
> This indicates trying to run an amd64 (64bit) kernel on an i386 (32bit)
> processor.  That's a synthetic processor inside VirtualBox, so unlike
> the real world, it's quite cheap to switch from one to the other...
>
> If you go to Settings :: General for your VM, did you choose OS as 'BSD'
> and Version as 'FreeBSD 64' ?
>
> I'm assuming the host you're running VirtualBox on is 64bit capable...

Recent versions of VirtualBox claim to be able to run a 64-bit VM on a
32-bit host if the host CPU is 64-bit and has hardware virtualization
support: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?p=33940
(search for "64-bit guest")

So far I've only seen guest kernel panics when booting the kernel on an
E8400 i386 FreeBSD host.