Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Tue Jul 19 13:21:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 22:50:25 -0500 (CDT)
Robert Bonomi articulated:

> > Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 20:01:20 -0400
> > From: Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net>
> > Subject: Re: Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 22:31:41 +0200
> > Polytropon articulated:
> >
> > > Your TV example is very good. I've recently read a text
> > > that predicts the future of CDs - a text from the late 80's.
> > > When we consider what we are _currently_ using, the text
> > > predicting "no important future for CDs" looks quite funny.
> >
> > You are undoubtedly familiar with the 1986 quote:
> >
> > "I think there is a world market for about five computers" a
> > Remark attributed to Thomas J. Watson (Chairman of the Board of
> > International Business Machines)
>
> *SNICKER*
>
> So much for your reseearch skills.
>
> "Thomas J. Watson" _died_ in NINETEEN FIFTY SIX.  If  he made a
> remark in 1986 it would have been world-shaking news.
>
> You are citing a 1986 .sig item from a _USENET_  posting by a Convex
> Computer employee.  The purported remark occurred in _1943_.  *IF* it
> was made, it is worth noting that, as a prediction, it _was_true_ for
> *TEN*YEARS*.  Now, how many other 'predictions' in the field of
> computing have survived _that_ long?
>

> Reputable sources have it:
>    "Although Watson is well known for his alleged 1943 statement: "I
> think there is a world market for maybe five computers," there is
> scant evidence he made it.
>
> There *is* 'some' evidence, albeit _not_ conclusive, that his son,
> "Thomas J. Watson, Jr." said something _remotely_ related in 1953, to
> wit: "But, as a result of our trip, on which we expected to get
> orders for five machines, we came home with orders for 18."

Actually, the research was fine; I simple failed to include reams of
documentation, notes and citations. I felt that it would be overkill in
the given environment. I was not attempting to fulfill the duties of a
raconteur. I was simply demonstrating some of the factual or fictional
statements made by supposedly intelligent individuals over time.

--
Jerry ✌
jerry+fbsd at seibercom.net

Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or ignored.
Do not CC this poster. Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.