Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Tue Jul 19 12:55:33 UTC 2011

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 21:21:31 -0600
Chad Perrin articulated:

> This is where we find a dividing line between users who want different
> things.  Yes, you turn on your Win7 laptop (or wake it up) in a coffee
> shop, and it connects automagically -- in fact, you probably don't
> even realize it has connected.  Hopefully it connected to the coffee
> shop's network, and not one of those occasional skimming networks that
> masquerade as coffe shop networks and exist to harvest login data and
> the like.  The dividing line between two schools of thought on the
> matter in this example should be obvious.

You do realize that all of that is configurable; ie, auto connect,
preferred network, etcetera. If you have not taken the time to read the
documentation and properly configure the wireless app correctly then
why bitch? I am not implying that it is perfect; however, given the
grave limitations that FreeBSD places on wireless connections;
specifically lack of drivers, and the inordinate amount of manual
intervention to accomplish what Microsoft and other OSs, (does the name
Ubuntu sound familiar) have achieved, it is readily apparent that the
FreeBSD implementation is trailing the pack.

--
Jerry ✌
jerry+fbsd at seibercom.net

Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or ignored.
Do not CC this poster. Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.