2020: Will BSD and Linux be relevant anymore?

C. P. Ghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Tue Jul 19 09:24:07 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 08:18:41 +0200 (CEST), Konrad Heuer wrote:
>> The
>> number of installations is not the most important figure. Functionality is
>> important -- ZFS, HAST, CARP, jails, as already mentioned -- would be nice
>> to see a distributed file system.
>
> Hmmm... sounds familiar. Didn't VMS have that? Oh wait, things
> like VMS didn't even exist! :-)

How about OpenAFS?

http://www.openafs.org/

We've used original AFS at University on SunOS/Solaris in the 90ies,
and it's still going strong. Maybe FreeBSD's support in 1.6.0pre* needs
a bit of love (?), but we definitely don't need to reinvent the wheel. ;-)

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/