Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore

Gary Gatten Ggatten at waddell.com
Mon Jul 18 23:21:08 UTC 2011

<snip>

This may get me flamed (probably will) but I'm wondering what the relationship is between FreeBSD and PC-BSD?  PERHAPS if they were to somehow join forces, share development load, etc. and "unify" the FreeBSD offerings under one roof; ie: PC-BSD and SERVER-BSD.

I believe several flavors of Linux have successfully done this.  Perhaps for licensing reasons more than technical, but nonetheless there were two offerings each focused on either a desktop or server deployment strategy.

Just a thought.  I'm not married to any particular OS - it's a tool and I use what suites my needs best.  I enjoy FreeBSD and like what it stands for - I would like to see it grow; both technically and in popularity.

Now, if only FreeBSD could find a mascot that didn't offend me so much...

PS: yes, I'm being sarcastic about being offended; referring to threads that pop up on occasion re "Beastie"

"This email is intended to be reviewed by only the intended recipient
 and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential.
 any review, use, dissemination, disclosure or copying of this email
 and its attachments, if any, is strictly prohibited.  If you have
 received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by
 return email and delete this email from your system."