Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jul 18 15:20:23 UTC 2011

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:10:30 -0400, Jerry wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 15:51:55 +0100
> Frank Shute articulated:
>
> > I like Jerry's proposal. The FreeBSD Foundation should organise their
> > donations page so that you can donate to various different areas of
> > development like TUG do:
> >
> > https://www.tug.org/donate.html
> >
> > It should be at least split into server, workstation and general
> > development.
> >
> > I donate to both FreeBSD and TUG but I far prefer the TUG model. When
> > I donate to the Foundation, I know a lot of my money is going to
> > esoteric server development which doesn't benefit me much but benefits
> > large corporations who can afford to fund their own development to
> > scratch *their own* itches. I want mine scratched!
>
> Thanks, I was not familiar with "tug". I will definitely investigate it
> further. I am also in total agreement with you statement regarding
> donations to the Foundation. How much money (I don't really expect an
> answer) was donated to the Java group. Yet, they never delivered an
> up-to-date version.

I'd like to express my sympathy for such a donation
model. It would give those who are not able to
contribute to system development to "vote with
their wallets" - showing the directions where more
development is needed and which functionality is
important to them.

The question is: How differentiated can such an
approach be in reality?

> By the way Frank, agreeing with anything I propose on this forum will
> probably draw Poly's wrath not to mention the general disapproval of
> the masses at large.

Again, you are wrong, because it seems that you
think throwing stereotypes at people you know
nothing about makes you look superior (instead
of giving a good argumentation).

In the case above, your suggesion _is_ a very good
one, and I have no problem agreeing to it, no matter
if any obscure "masses at large" would approve or
disapprove.

Wrath is a feeling unknown to me.

> Unfortunately, the "Something for Nothing" mindset
> permeates all too strongly though the community. I honestly believe
> that there are users here who would rather eat garbage than pay a
> dollar (currency of your choosing) to have a fine meal.

Not to mention those who pay money to actually eat
garbage while being told it's a fine meal. :-)

In fact, I would not hesitate to fund development that
would fit my individual interests (as my donation would
also be individual). If this benefits the whole community
(as a "nice side effect"), where would be the problem?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany