[freebsd-questions] Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore

Howard Jones howie at thingy.com
Mon Jul 18 10:24:40 UTC 2011

On 18/07/2011 11:14, Gour-Gadadhara Dasa wrote:
> I'm the one...using Linux since '99 (SuSE, Gentoo,Arch) and moved to
> PCBSD-9.0 some months ago. I'm *very* happy and cannot believe how
> little time I spend doing admin work 'cause the OS 'just works'.
>
> Otoh, Linux was saga with *constant* tweaking, updating, fixing...
Interesting - I'm in the process of switching our FreeBSD servers to
Linux (Debian and CentOS), to get away from the packaging/ports mess :-)
I've been spoilt by apt-get and yum and first-class support in Puppet.
I've been a FreeBSD user since 2.x, but keeping a significant number of
systems up to date is just tedious without a decent binary package
manager/updater.

Howie