Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 08:02:35 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Outback Dingo <outbackdingo at gmail.com>wrote:

> Im pretty sure they are only XEN based and not  "cloud" based per se, as
> there appears to be no elasticity on demand, Granted RootBSD is nice
> but on demand expansion of memory, cpu and disk under ones control is more
> what i would describe as FreeBSD in  the cloud,

Cloud computing by most definitions I'm aware of refer to the decades old
practice of outsourcing data storage and processing needs.  RootBSD fits
comfortably into this definition.  Elastic cloud computing(IMO an often
overrated attribute) is an enhanced version of such services. The definition
is something of a moot point in this discussion as either setup is available
for FreeBSD guests with multiple hosting providers.

http://www.reliacloud.com/ and http://www.elastichosts.com/ are a couple
examples of the more sophisticated ones.

--
Adam Vande More