Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Jul 18 07:20:54 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 07:10:59AM -0400, Jerry wrote:
> While I usually consider Slashdot nothing more than a bunch of
> juveniles ranting against Microsoft; however, I did find this rather
> interesting post this morning.
>
> "Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore"
>
> <http://bsd.slashdot.org/story/11/07/16/0020243/Lennart-Poettering-BSD-Isnt-Relevant-Anymore>
>
> Interestingly enough, a great deal of it is true. It might be
> interesting to know how others feel about it. Obviously, asking that
> question on this forum is like playing against a stacked deck; however,
> it still might prove interesting.

Most of his opinions seem to boil down to "Features trump function.  It
doesn't matter if it works; it only matters if it claims to support more
features."

The Linux community as a whole seems to be following that philosophy all
the way to bug-parity with MS Windows.  Once it arrives there, nothing
will positively differentiate it from MS Windows, and it will become
obsolete.

That's how things look right now, anyway.  Maybe something will change
before it gets there.  If it does get there, though, BSD Unix systems
will be more important than ever, because they'll fill the niche that
Linux-based systems are abandoning like rats fleeing a sinking ship.