Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore

Joshua Isom jrisom at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 06:51:49 UTC 2011

On 7/18/2011 8:05 AM, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Joshua Isom<jrisom at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> What about enlightenment?
>
> For us old-timers :)
>
> What's the advantage of any of these "desktop environments" (Gnome,
> KDE, enlightenment, Xfce) over ordinary X11 with (say) FVWM2 or TWM?
> Certainly there are some useful apps that, for better or worse, are
> built with gtk or the KDE toolkit, but what does the full-blown
> environment really contribute (other than bloat)?

Desktop options are why linux has grown so well.  If gnome and KDE
didn't exist, linux wouldn't have gotten the market share it did.
Desktop environments are a foot in the door technique for server
environments.  Windows clearly isn't the best server, especially older
versions, but it's popular because desktop Windows is popular.  The
"server" editions of linux distributions are almost mirrors of their
desktops, gui and all.