can't build teTeX port in FreeBSD 8.2 amd64

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 17:54:27 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

>> > What exactly is missing from teTeX?
>>
>> Try this, get the source for a free college Algebra Book:
>>
>> http://www.stitz-zeager.com/Precalculus/Stitz_Zeager_Open_Source_Precalculus_files/SZPreCalc07152011SourceCode.zip
>>
>> Use this script to generate the book:
>>
>> name it genAlgTrigBook
>> chmod +x genAlgTrigBook
>> and run
>> $ ./genAlgTrigBook
>> with in the SZPreCalc0715201 folder after extracting the zip file with
>> command unzip SZPreCalc07152011SourceCode.zip

>> #!/bin/sh
>>
>> # change JPG to jpg since *nix systems are case sensitive
>> for i in `find . -name "*JPG"`
>>  do
>>  mv "$i" "$(echo $i|sed 's/JPG/jpg/g')"
>>  done
>> sleep 5;
>> pdflatex AlgTrigBook.tex -interaction=nonstop
>> sleep 2;
>> for i in *.mp
>>    do
>>       mpost $i
>>    done
>> sleep 5;
>> pdflatex AlgTrigBook.tex -interaction=nonstop
>> sleep 5;
>> makeindex AlgTrigBook
>> sleep 5;
>> pdflatex AlgTrigBook.tex -interaction=nonstop
>>
>> Can you fully compile the book without errors?
>
> no
>
> my mpost
>
> ( /usr/local/bin/mpost was installed by package teTeX-base-3.0_22
>  mpost -version
> MetaPost 0.641 (Web2C 7.5.4)
> kpathsea version 3.5.4 )
>
> doesn't seem to understand *.mp files generated:
>
> % mpost CartesianPlane
> This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.5.4)
> (CartesianPlane.mp (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/metapost/mfpic/grafbase.mp)
> (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/metapost/mfpic/dvipsnam.mp))
> *
> (Please type a command or say `end')
> *
>
> --

Anton,

This is what I mean.  For regular things, TeTeX is fine, but for
bigger projects one can't do without texlive.  I encountered the same
problems with default tetex, but installed TeXLive from DVD and I no
longer have these problems :)

But like Roland says, some ports depend on teTeX still and this is
where I hope that developers find ways around them :)  It took me a
while to build evince, gnuplot and other math related ports without
teTeX port.

Regards,

Antonio