DOSBox: whole screen turns black

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Thu Jul 14 23:48:59 UTC 2011

Adding emulation@ in hopes someone there will have an idea.

emulation@ folks, please keep Philipp in the To: or Cc: since he may
not be subscribed to emulation at .  The original question is here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2011-July/231716.html

Philipp <trashavenue at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 23:37:51 -0700
> perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
>
> > It sure sounds as if the video signal coming out of the graphics
> > card is beyond the monitor's range.
> >
> > That's not supposed to happen with recent xorg, unless the monitor
> > is misreporting its capabilities when the graphics card interrogates
> > it or something (related to DOSBox?) is issuing an xrandr for an
> > unsupported mode.
> >
> > What kind of monitor?
>
> It's an Acer S221HQLBD connected via DVI-D (Dual Link).
> My Xorg is version 1.7.7.
>
> Maybe it's an issue with too small VRAM. I've limited
> VRAM in BIOS to 16 MB, because I've only 1 GB of RAM
> and the GMA 3000 doesn't own real VRAM. I'm going to
> proof it this afternoon.
[subsequent message]
> I changed the BIOS settings to fixed video memory
> allocation (128 MB) but it doesn't help.
>
> By the way: I had the same problem with the parole
> media player on Xfce 4.8 (but then moved to GNOME).
>
> Any further suggestions?

Did the system memory size report near the top of the dmesg change
when you changed the VRAM size?  (I think it should have, since the
VRAM should be off limits to all other uses, but I don't know the
area well enough to be sure.)  If it didn't, I suppose there may be
some kind of weird conflict over memory usage.

Other than that I am out of ideas.  Maybe someone on emulation@
will know about interactions between it and the video subsystem.