IPFW Firewall NAT inbound port-redirect

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 13 09:49:42 UTC 2011

OK - I'm confused. Could be all the top posting. ;-)

testbed# man ipfw
Formatting page, please wait...Done.
IPFW(8)                 FreeBSD System Manager's Manual
IPFW(8)

NAME
     ipfw -- User interface for firewall, traffic shaper, packet scheduler,
     in-kernel NAT.
[...]

kernel config options:

options         IPFIREWALL_NAT          #ipfw kernel nat support
                                                                          ^^^^^^^^
With this option you do not need userland natd and NAT stays in the kernel
and keywords are in the IPFW ruleset. I did indeed mis-speak wrt to natd as
the above was conceived in IPFW2 to supersede userland natd.

Been about maybe 7 or 8 years since I used IPFW, so the memory is rusty.