tftp - bad checksum error? can't transfer file

C. P. Ghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Sun Jul 10 16:43:55 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I've had some trouble netbooting / jumpstaring recently with a similar
>> pattern (using RARP/BOOTP/TFTP/NFS). It turned out to be a dying
>> port on the switch whose errors were masked by TCP in day to day
>> use, but alas were too frequent for UDP.
>
> I just have a direct ethernet connection
> between my FreeBSD laptop with bootpd/tftpd
> servers (one ethernet port only) and a node
> which I want to boot (also a single ethernet
> port). Is there way for me to check whether
> either of these ports are "dying"?
> Any further diagnostics I can do?

Just push a lot of data (/dev/zero, /dev/urandom, ...) over
this connection, via ssh or something like that, and monitor
the error rates in "netstat -in" on both ends. Look at Ierrs,
Idrop and Oerrs columns. If one of those ports are dying,
or if your cable isn't properly shielded, you'll notice immediately.

> Many thanks
> Anton

-cpghost.

--