zpool-zfs'es on a GELI-encrypted volume are not mounted at boot [patch included]

Christopher J. Ruwe cjr at cruwe.de
Sun Jul 10 14:05:17 UTC 2011

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 16:38:43 +0400
Pan Tsu <inyaoo at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Christopher J. Ruwe" <cjr at cruwe.de> writes:
>
> > Nearly a week ago I posted this question to freebsd-fs, but
> > probalby my question is a) worded too complicatedly, b) not really a
> > filesystem-issue or c) both.
> >
> > To rephrase: In setups requiring one or more ZFS-dataset to be
> > mounted before another service is activated (GELI in my case) and
> > the rest of the ZFS-datasets after that service is activated
> > (because they require GELI), it seems to be necessary to add a `zfs
> > mount -a` to mountcritlocal. Is this considered correct behaviour
> > and wouldn't it make sense to add such a line to mountcritlocal in
> > the standard setup?
> [...]
>
> Have you tried to set zfs_enable=YES in rc.conf? Based on rcorder(8)
> output rc.d/zfs should come just after rc.d/mountcritlocal.

zfs_enable="YES" is set. rcorder gives curious output, so maybe my etcs are wrong?

$> rcorder /etc/rc.d/zfs
rcorder: file `/etc/rc.d/zfs' is before unknown provision `mountlate'
/etc/rc.d/zfs

$> rcorder /etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal
rcorder: requirement `root' in file `/etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal' has no providers.
/etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal

However, I fear I have not made my intent clear. My boot-sequence should be as follows (intermittent steps left out):

1) mount zfs root-fs, which is on plain standard zpool A
2) unlock another, GELI-encrypted zpool B
3) mount all other fs (/usr,...), which reside on zpool B

What my system does is first to mount the fs on zpool A, then GELI-unlock and then halt because the contents of /usr are not accessible (yet)

What I want my system to do is to first  mount root, then unlock GELI and then mount all other remaining fs on zpool B.

I could either mount all remaining zfs'es in mountcritlocal, which
requires another line there, which I have added locally as put in my
patch. I cannot shift the order so that GELI-unlock comes first, because
my keys for GELI reside on /boot, which resides on zpool A.

So, is my setup anything from unfortunate to plain stupid or is
mountcritlocal missing a statement catering for such cases as I
described?

Thank you for your help, cheers,
--
Christopher J. Ruwe