Portupgrade Package Question

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 10 04:35:30 UTC 2011

On 7/9/11, Thomas D. Dean <tomdean at speakeasy.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 19:54 -0400, b. f. wrote:
>
>> occasionally trip over problems that will require intervention.  (Note
>> that in the section of the csup file that you reproduced in an earlier
>> message, 'release-cvs' should be 'release=cvs'.)
>
> The '-' was a typo on my part.  The machine I used for email is not the
> machine I am updating.
>
> I am updating that machine, now.  The supfile contains
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_8
>
> This should track 8-stable.  Correct?

This is the tag that you would use on src collections to update your
base system sources (usually in /usr/src) to 8-STABLE.  You would use
RELENG_8_2 for the 8.2-STABLE security branch, RELENG_8_2_RELEASE for
8.2-RELEASE, and so on.

But src tags are not the same as ports tags.  That is why they have
separate example supfiles for the base system sources, and for ports.
And that is also why they have the prominent warning in the base
system example supfiles:

#
# DANGER!  WARNING!  LOOK OUT!  VORSICHT!
#
# If you add any of the ports or doc collections to this file, be sure to
# specify them with a "tag" value set to ".", like this:
#
#   ports-all tag=.
#   doc-all tag=.
#
# If you leave out the "tag=." portion, CVSup will delete all of
# the files in your ports or doc tree.  That is because the ports and doc
# collections do not use the same tags as the main part of the FreeBSD
# source tree.
#

As far as I know, the ports collection has no tags for any stable
branches, only tags made at the time of releases.  So for ports, if
you are running 8.2-RELEASE, you have three choices: (1) use
RELEASE_8_2_0 if you want to stick with a snapshot of the ports tree
taken at the time of the release, or (2) use "." if you want
up-to-date ports, or (3) choose a specific snapshot of ports via date=
instead of tag= (for details, see, for example, the csup(1) manpage.)

> After the build finishes, portupgrade should fetch from 8-stable.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  As I wrote before, you need to make
some additional changes to ensure that portupgrade uses 8-stable
packages if you have an 8.2-RELEASE base system.  Just having a
up-to-date ports tree and index isn't sufficient.  However, if you
replace your 8.2-RELEASE base system with a newer 8.2-STABLE or
8-STABLE base system, then portupgrade should fetch the 8-stable
packages by default, without any additional changes.

You could cheat, and neither upgrade your base system nor make the
changes I mentioned in my last message, but instead fool portupgrade
into thinking that you have a newer base system, by setting UNAME_R to
something like "8.2-STABLE" in your environment when you call
portupgrade, but you are bound to run into problems eventually by
lying in that way.

b.