Tool to show the recent disk space consumers?

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 21:16:16 UTC 2011

> I hit this problem periodically when a lot of disk space is gone and it's
> hard to tell where did it go. Once it was thunderbird writing huge index
> file as a consequence of some bug, on another occasion it was the bug in KDE
> writing some huge index somewhere in ~/.kde4.
>
> Is there a tool slowly indexing the file system and showing where exactly
> did the sudden growth of consumed space occur?
>
> I know about du(1) but I am looking for some program that can detect the
> dynamics and pinpoint the offending files.

A lot of the monitoring applications can do this such as zabbix and opennms,
but they don't necessarily monitor file size on every file so I don't know
how efficient it would be if it's not integrated into kqueue.  One of the
security applications such as samhain may be able to do a better job of it.

--
Adam Vande More