fubar'ed it good this time...

Kurt Buff kurt.buff at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 00:15:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 17:31, Kurt Buff <kurt.buff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 06:50, Dr. A. Haakh <bugReporter at haakh.de> wrote:
>> Polytropon schrieb:

>>> Check if you can download FreeSBIE somewhere. It's a live system
>>> using the 5.x and 6.x kernel which should be fine. Next to two
>>> GUI modes (light, heavy) it also has a versatile "maintenance mode"
>>> for such operations. I have already successfully used this system
>>> for solving similar situations, for diagnostics, and for data
>>> recovery preparation.
>>
>> The loader obviously knows how to deal with the filesystem because he loads
>> the failing new kernel. So the easiest solution would be to boot an older
>> kernel if available. I don't know how freebsd-update deals with older
>> kernels,
>> he should still be around. First guess is /boot/kernel.old/kernel.
>> So get the loader-prompt, "unload kernel" and try "load
>> /boot/kernel.old/kernel".
>>
>> Andreas
>
> OK - to continue, while I have a few free minutes.
>
> I have been able to load the old kernel by going to the loader prompt
> from the boot menu, and doing
>     unload kernel
>     load /boot/kernel.old/kernel
>
> That barked about linproc in fstab, so I edited that out.
>
> Then, the next go-round: It complained about mismatches on
> daemon_saver.ko - a version mismatch, so I've commented that out of
> /etc/rc.conf. It also complained about linux.ko, so that's been
> commented out in /etc/rc.conf as well.
>
> I'm now able to reboot cleanly with the old kernel.
>
> After doing 'freebsd-update install' for the second time, I still
> can't get 8.2 to boot - same issue, only acd0 is recognized. However,
> I'm logged in as root under the old kernel, though I haven't start
> XFCE4, and don't have wireless running.
>
> This one is getting to be fun...
>
> Kurt

So, I tried booting from the old kernel again, and then did a
'freebsd-update rollback', and that worked just fine. I thought I'd
try again, but first did a 'freebsd-update fetch' and 'freebsd-update
install' to get the latest 8.1 updates.

That worked just fine, so I did a 'freebsd-update -r 8.2-RELEASE
fetch' again, then a 'freebsd-update install', which went just fine,
and after that rebooted as directed to attempt the second
'freebsd-update install'.

That's when the same thing happened - i got dumped into the mountroot
prompt again. And, again, rebooting and escaping to the loader prompt
allows me to unload the kernel, load /boot/kernel.old/kernel then
autoboot, and boot up. Same as before.

Any thoughts?