Could any port be sucking up bandwidth?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sat Jan 29 03:55:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 01:30:07PM +0100, C. P. Ghost wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 7:49 AM, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > Before the 11th of January I was streaming both audio and video
> > streams with little to zero wait time.  In other words, I could
> > stream about 50 minutes of audio with only a second or two of pause
> > time delay [[AKA congestion]].
>
> Try sockstat(1) and watch for other processes' connections.
>
> And remember: sometimes, it's the network provider doing
> traffic shaping, i.e. throttling your line based on the kind of
> traffic you're generating.
>
> -cpghost.

	tHe problem with streams turned out to NOT have anything to do with
	software.  Not in the FBSD ports, not in the Ubuntu packages.  I
	found a clue via google; it worked.  The problem was that my
	modem/router needed to be reset to its factory defaults.

	iftop sometimes stalled for several moments--enough to cause streams
	to timeout if they did, in fact, get started.  Now I can connect
	even to bbc4 in a couple seconds instead of a minutes.

	If anybody else has had trouble connected to distant sites, I
	suggest you check your routers.  Might find that you get much better
	response times.

	--gary

> --
> Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/