Date of a FreeBSD installation

Devin Teske dteske at vicor.com
Thu Jan 27 21:09:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 13:39 -0700, Chad Perrin wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 01:57:38PM -0800, Devin Teske wrote:
> >
> > You're going to have to resort to things that aren't touched during a
> > system upgrade if you want to find out the `true' answer as to when the
> > box was first ... what? partitioned? newfs'd? clue me in here.
> >
> > What _is_ the definition of "built" ??? When the hardware pieces were
> > coalesced into a single chassis? If that's the case, I'd be looking at
> > model numbers of internal parts.
>
> I suspect that at this point you are just being pedantic,

Correct. I get paid to be pedantic. It's a staple of my tenure-track
position.

>  and that you
> know what the question actually means

Correct. Going back to the OP's e-mail, he indeed clarified that he was
only interested in the install-date of FreeBSD.

> ; you just want to dismiss the
> question as immaterial.

Incorrect and perceptually [unrightly] indignent.

The above statements (which you've taken out of context) were not to the
OP but a reply-thread between Chuck Swiger and myself.
--
Devin