future of the desktop

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jan 27 12:24:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 06:09:58 -0600, ajtiM <lumiwa at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Thanks to Solid's new UPower, UDev and UDisks backends, the deprecated HAL is
> no longer needed to manage hardware on Linux. Applications do not need to be
> updated to make use of these new backends. The HAL backend is still available
> for systems that do not support UPower. "
>
> It happened with XFCE and now the same story with KDE. Is GNOME next?
> How looks like the future of desktop on FreeBSD or is time to install Linux
> here?

Well, it's not that "desktop == Xfce || desktop == KDE". :-)
Maybe the Linux folks won't be happy with the U* either as
it will surely be depricated at the moment it fully works.

Regarding your question: I think it will be possible to keep
Xfce and KDE running, but they won't be in fully functional
state then. I'm not a KDE user (and not a Xfce user anymore),
so I can't be more specific.

Keep in mind that all the "magic" the U* are doing on Linux
have been done by FreeBSD's devd for many years now. Maybe
this is the chance to revert to a WORKING and STABLE infra-
structure on FreeBSD. Just remember: FreeBSD had "hotplug
capabilities" and "automounter" for many years, even BEFORE
HAL and DBUS came to desktop land.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany