Issue upgrading to 7.4, looking for guidance

Keith Seyffarth weif at weif.net
Thu Jan 27 02:56:03 UTC 2011

I recently was having problems with Firefox crashing, which appear to be
related to a requirement for semaphore support for Firefox after the
upgrade to the new version of GTK.

Anyway, this left me with a 7.4 kernel and a 7.2 world. Which I
understand is supposed to work.

However, this broke CUPS for printing, and I need to be able to print to
pdf. This error is generated if I try to build cups, or when cups tries
to load on startup:
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: ./mantohtml: invalid PT_PHDR

>From looking around on-line, it looks like somewhere between 7.2 and 7.4
there was an incompatibility that causes this error in a number of places
(printing, samba, etc.)

So, it looks like I need to upgrade the rest of the way. But I can't get
the upgrade to work. I thought this was where to start:

# freebsd-update -r 7.4-RELEASE upgrade
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching public key from update5.FreeBSD.org... failed.
Fetching public key from update4.FreeBSD.org... failed.
Fetching public key from update2.FreeBSD.org... failed.
Fetching public key from update3.FreeBSD.org... failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.

So I ran uname -a to find that this is 7.4-PRERELEASE

FreeBSD janet.weif.net 7.4-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.4-PRERELEASE #0: Thu Jan
20 19:39:15 MST 2011     weif at janet.weif.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/JANET
i386

so I tried this:

# freebsd-update -r 7.4-PRERELEASE upgrade
freebsd-update: Cannot upgrade from 7.4-PRERELEASE to itself

so, um, what do I need to do to address this error:
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: ./mantohtml: invalid PT_PHDR

Keith S.