Virtualbox - no /dev/acd0 in VM even if it's booting from CD

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Mon Jan 24 15:54:37 UTC 2011

On 01/24/11 14:19, Chris Brennan wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Arthur Chance<freebsd at qeng-ho.org>  wrote:
>
>> I just upgraded to virtualbox-ose-3.2.12 (ditto the vbox kmod port), and
>> then tried to install a new VM. It booted from the CD fine but sysinstall
>> reported that it couldn't find a CD drive to install from. Booting another
>> VM that already existed showed the same problem - /dev/ad0 exists but
>> /dev/acd0 doesn't and there's no sign of it during the device detection part
>> of the boot.
>>
>> Anyone else seeing this problem?
>>
>> Details:
>>
>> The host machine is amd64, running 8.1-RELEASE-p2 GENERIC.
>>
>> The new VM is booting FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
>>
>> The old VM is running i386 8.1-RELEASE-p1 GENERIC, and can't see /dev/acd0
>> regardless of whether or not an ISO is attached to it.
>>

> Did you try editing your VBox config for your VM? Make sure the CD-ROM is
> attached to the VM?

Well, as I booted from a release CD ISO in order to install FBSD into a
new VM, I'm pretty certain it was attached. :-)

Much the same happens attempting to boot an Ubuntu ISO - it boots fine
but then goes catatonic when I say I want to run it as a live CD.

I've been playing about some more using my old installed VM. If under
the storage settings I make the CD device the IDE secondary master it
doesn't show up. If I make it the primary slave, at boot time
immediately after ad0 has been detected I get the following pair of messages

ata0: timeout waiting to issue command
ata0: error issuing ATA PACKET command

repeated 15 times, with

acd0: CDROM <VBOX CD-ROM/1.0> at ata0-slave UDMA100

appearing after 5 message pairs. However, if after that I try to access
the ISO attached to it, I get 5 pairs of timeout/error messages and an
input error.