missing uwacom.ko

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Jan 23 20:33:13 UTC 2011

On a fresh install of FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE, on a ThinkPad x60 tablet,
there is an input-wacom package already installed.  Unfortunately, it
lacks probably the most important part of the package: the uwacom driver:

    # /usr/local/rc.d/wacom start
    Starting wacom.
    kldload: can't load /boot/modules/uwacom.ko: No such file or
    directory

I brought up this same problem a few months ago on this list, but
ultimately got no resolution, and set it aside for a while.  It was not
very critical at the time.  I have more use for the laptop now, though,
so I decided to try installing it from scratch again, and the exact same
problem has arisen.  There is simply no .ko file on the system for Wacom
drivers at all.

It occurred to me to try reinstalling the input-wacom package from ports,
but unfortunately the port is identified as broken.

Has anyone else gotten the uwacom.ko driver on their systems?  If so,
how?  Are you using 8.1-RELEASE or something else?  Is there a
work-around for this problem?  Google, thus far, has proven useless to me
on this subject.