ATI Radeon 4350 Problem

Bahman Kahinpour bahman.linux at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 15:26:07 UTC 2011

Hi FreeBSD people all over the world,

I've installed FreeBSD 8.1 on a system which has ATI Radeon 4350 (I
tried both 32bit and 64bit architectures, in both situations the
problem persists). After enabling HALD and DBUS my system runs X
Window System (GNOME, ...) very well without any problem or
instability. But when I exit the X Window System to the TCSH (e.g.
through the System>Logout in GNOME), my system suddenly reboots when I
try to get into the X Window System again.

During a single bootup, my system can start the X Window System only
once and just reboots (not a proper reboot/one of these sudden
without-saving-anything/without-syncing-disks boots).

As the system runs (that single time) X Window System properly without
any problems I do not think there is a driver problem. What should I
do? I think it needs one of these
compile-your-kernel-again-with-this-little-option tricks!!! Has anyone
managed to get ATI 4350 working on 8.1-RELEASE?