Keyboard repeat issues with Dell Optiplex 980s

Steve Polyack korvus at comcast.net
Wed Jan 19 14:48:47 UTC 2011

On 01/19/11 09:35, Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
> On 01/-10/-28163 20:59, Steve Polyack wrote:

>>> Try adding the following to /boot/loader.conf then reboot and see if
>>> the "excessive repeat" behaviour changes:
>>>
>>> hint.kbdmux.0.disabled="1"
>>>
>>> It would also help if you would state exactly what brand/model of
>>> keyboard is used. Yes, believe it or not, it matters. dmesg output
>>> would be helpful in this case.
>>>
>> The keyboard is also a Dell model - model KB1421, or listed as "Dell
>> QuiteKey Keyboard" under dmesg. The same keyboard does not exhibit the
>> strange behavior when used with the older model of tower (Optiplex 960).
>>
>> I'll reboot today with the loader.conf hint you provided. I'll let you
>> guys know if it helps. Thanks!
>
> I have 8.1-RELEASE running on an Optiplex 980 with no keyboard
> problems, but not with a Dell keyboard as we ordered Cherry keyboards
> with our Dells (the person evaluating the Dells thought the keyboard
> was way too light and fragile).
>
> Since I usually have the keyboard plugged into the hub in the display,
> I just tried it directly in the (rear) usb ports with no difference.
> Trying the Fujitsu and Sun keyboards from the other machines in my
> office does not immediately lead to problems, either. (Or how much
> would I have to type to reproduce the problem?)
>
> Maybe it is just the keyboards? Or a bios setting? (I cannot currently
> reboot to check if there are any keyboard related bios settings I
> changed.)

We have the keyboards plugged into the rear ports, and not via a USB
hub.  The problem is not immediate or constant, but if you spend about
two hours with the keyboard hooked up to the rear, you will certainly
run into the problem (assuming its not related to these Dell keyboards...).

As for a BIOS setting, there is nothing relevant in the BIOS with
regards to the keyboard or USB emulation that I can remember.

Thanks