How to adjust man page line length

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Tue Jan 18 13:02:02 UTC 2011

On Jan 17, 2011, at 9:40 PM, David J. Weller-Fahy wrote:

> To expand on the question in the subject: How does one tell `man` not to
> automatically format man pages to 80 columns?  I'm looking for a fairly
> easy way to do this, or confirmation it would involve internal
> gymnastics I may not be willing to perform.

Perhaps FreeBSD should look into using man from MacOS X where "man -c"
will do as requested above. Will format to the output device width.

For FreeBSD I suspect the solution involves "man -t" and then studying
how to tell groff(1) to format for one's console rather than the default
Postscript output. "man -t" generates very nice printable man pages.

As for the request not to be CC'ed in reply, put the list address in the

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net