How to adjust man page line length

David J. Weller-Fahy dave-lists-freebsd-questions at weller-fahy.com
Tue Jan 18 04:07:23 UTC 2011

To expand on the question in the subject: How does one tell `man` not to
automatically format man pages to 80 columns?  I'm looking for a fairly
easy way to do this, or confirmation it would involve internal
gymnastics I may not be willing to perform.

The quick fixes which did not work: I ensured COLUMNS is set in the
environment, I tried pages which did not have a corresponding catman
page, I tried on the console and in X, and I've tried both with my
custom (SC_PIXEL_MODE added) and GENERIC kernels.

I'm running...
#v+
dave at heffalump:~$ uname -a
FreeBSD heffalump.weller-fahy.com 8.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE-p2 #0: Sat Jan  1 10:59:17 CST 2011     root at heffalump.weller-fahy.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC-SC_PIXEL_MODE  i386
#v-

This particular installation is running under Virtualbox 3.2.12 r68302
on Mac OS X 10.6.6.

Admittedly, this is an annoyance rather than a need, but man is it
annoying.  Will someone please let me know the simple thing my google-fu
has failed to find?

Regards,
--
dave [ please don't CC me ]