Simple command to reset / clear all logs?

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Fri Jan 14 07:36:40 UTC 2011

> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org  Thu Jan 13 23:28:08 2011
> From: Carl Johnson <carlj at peak.org>
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 21:21:40 -0800
> Subject: Re: Simple command to reset / clear all logs?
>
> Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 20:11:03 -0600, Adam Vande More
> > <amvandemore at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Amusing, but you're the one full of shit.  There's more things to
> >> automatic log file creation than are thought of in your imagination.
> >
> > Adam,
> >
> > I think Robert is right at least in regards of SOME programs that use
> > syslogd for logging OR do the logging stuff on their own.
>
> I think that newsyslog will create the new log files if specified in the
> /etc/newsyslog.conf file.  That might be the confusion about some log
> files being created automatically but others not.  The newsyslog.conf(5)
> manpage mentions a 'C' flag that can be specified.

BINGO!

Furthermore 'newsyslog' is *NOT* part of the Unix 'standard'.  You _cannot_
count on it being present on every/all Unix system.

Newsyslog is also -not- a 'logging service'.  'syslogd' is the logging
service, and syslogd does -not- create any files mentioned in its .conf
file.

Newsyslog, itself,  doesn't even consult the syslog.conf file. It operates
entirely independantly o , and _tolally_ignorantly_ of, what syslogd does.

_IF_ 'newsyslog' exists,
and is configured to run at system start-up,
=and= the logfile in question is also configured in the newsyslog.conf file,
*AND* that logfile entry has the 'C' {create if missing} flag set,
_THEN_AND_ONLY_THEN_ will the file get created  when the system transitions
into multi-user mode.