Date of a FreeBSD installation

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Jan 13 20:55:51 UTC 2011

On Jan 13, 2011, at 12:45 PM, Chip Camden wrote:
> On my system, /etc/termcap has the date well after my installation
> (Jun 28 2010) and /etc/rmt dates to well before (Nov 21 2009).  I first
> installed FreeBSD on this system on Apr 1 2010.

Certainly the target of the link would change; my /etc/termcap points to:

-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  206901 Dec 14 21:03 /usr/share/misc/termcap

This particular box I'm looking at had been updated from FreeBSD-4.x through 7-STABLE, so a 2001 timestamp for the original installs seems about right.

I wonder, are you folks using something other than UFS for / filesystem...perhaps ZFS or whatever handles the dates on symlinks differently?

Regards,
--
-Chuck