IP traffic reporting -- simple aggregate bytes to each IP to a log

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Wed Jan 12 22:46:11 UTC 2011

I have an older FreeBSD 6.x machine that I need to install some sort of IP traffic logging daemon on.  (This machine is being updated soon to latest -STABLE).  I had one once on another machine years ago but I forget the name.  It basically just gave me a text file log with aggregate data to each IP address on the machine over time.

Does anyone have any recommendations?  I do not need web access to the data or fancy graphs or anything.  I just need a simple way to see how much incoming traffic to each IP I get during a certain time period, written to a text log.

 I have been trying to build things like ntop and stuff  but due to the age of this machine's installation that has not been possible due to ports being too new for it and problems installing latest tools (port errors in patches etc).

Thanks
Chad