Upgrade path from STABLE to RELEASE

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 12:19:19 UTC 2011

On Friday 07 January 2011, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> Your choices are to backup and reinstall using a release version,
> or to grab the latest -STABLE or -RELEASE sources and upgrade by
> compiling from source.  Note that last option still won't allow you
> to use freebsd-update subsequently: you have to stick with the
> binaries from the install media for that to work.

This has got me puzzled. I appreciate that freebsd-update won't update
the sources so an attempt to recompile after using freebsd-update to
change between versions will lead to trouble unless the new sources are
also downloaded but I'd assumed that freebsd-update would manage to
update the binaries irrespective of whether they'd been installed as
binary downloads or compiled locally.

My present system started as 8.0-RELEASE, installed as a binary from
DVD. I subsequently used csup to upgrade through 8.1-STABLE and
8.1-RELEASE. I've been using freebsd-update to keep 8.1-RELEASE up to
date with the latest security patches. I didn't see any error messages
when I ran freebsd-update so I assumed that everything went fine. Is
there something I've overlooked and should I recompile from source to
be safe?

--
Mike Clarke