Just wanted to install vim - had to spend entire day building X11

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Jan 10 09:20:50 UTC 2011

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 22:19:02 +0100, Tony Maserati <abletony84 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just curious - what's the point of including X11 as a dependency
> to vim?  And then making a vim-lite port (which you usually discover
> after installing X11). How about making it vim and vim-x11 instead?

Maybe because gvim is really *much* nicer than plain console-based vim
sessions.

The vim-lite port exists for those cases when you really want to install
just plain good ol' vim without all the bells and whistles.  You can also
install editors/vim with WITHOUT_X11='true' to avoid the pulling of all
this X11 stuff.