which syslog??? (rsyslog? syslog-ng? or default?)

Gary Gatten Ggatten at waddell.com
Fri Jan 7 21:55:03 UTC 2011

After a bit of research I picked rsyslog.  Actually, my syslog servers "had" to be RHEL, so I have all my logs going to 2 servers; one runs rsyslog and the other the syslogd that shipped with RHEL.  They have different retention policies, one keeps about 30 days of logs online, the other about 90 days.

Rsyslog has some cool features that may come in handy for a centralized logging environment.  I don't use many (any?) of them right now, but it's nice to know they're there.  Depending on your environment you may want to check it out.  It's really handy if you can replace your sending hosts syslogd with rsyslogd - if the central log server fails it will buffer log  entries locally and then ship them when the server comes back up.  Also supports tcp based syslog and a couple other "lossless" protocols.  I have mostly Ci$co gear logging here so can't really replace their logging daemon!

HTH