Portupgrade status

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 5 19:08:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 11:04:03 -0500, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
>> On 04/01/2011 00:51, illoai at gmail.com wrote:
>>> No, the -R flag in portmaster tells it to not rebuild
>>> ports taht have already been built on this run (I
>>> believe from reading man portmaster).  The -R
>>> flag in portupgrade rebuilds the ports on which
>>> the named port depends
>>> -R
>>> --upward-recursive     Act on all those packages required by the given
>>>                             packages as well. (When specified with -F,
>>> fetch
>>>                             recursively, including the brand new,
>>> uninstalled
>>>                             ports that an upgraded port requires)
>>>
>>> I don't see any equivalent functionality for portmaster,
>>> sadly.
>>
>> This is actually portmaster's default behaviour.  So:
>>
>>    portupgrade -R foo/bar is equivalent to portmaster foo/bar
>>
>>    portupgrade -fRr foo/bar is equivalent to portmaster -fr foo/bar
>
> I'm not seeing where portmaster has the portupgrade -R functionality
> ("rebuild this port and those it depends on").
>
> portmaster(8) says "The focus of this tool is to keep the dependency
> tracking information for your ports up to date.  This allows you to
> safely update a specific port without having to update all of the ports
> "above" it."
>
> That would make the default action equivalent to portupgrade's -r option
> ("rebuild this port and all those that depend on it").
>
> What have I missed?

I agree the quoted passage might admit of more than one interpretation,
but here is what I think it's saying:

Portmaster will automagically update the dependencies for the port you
select (= portupgrade -R).  Thus there is no need to update the ports that
depend on the one you have selected (= portupgrade -r), since all
downstream dependencies will be taken care of by default whenever you run
portmaster against any of these upstream ports.

Jud

--
"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." -
Douglas Adams