init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv8, sleeping 30 secs

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Jan 5 18:55:10 UTC 2011

On 05/01/2011 12:12, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> I'd still like to start xdm automatically on reboot.
> If I can't do it via /etc/ttys,
> what would be the alternative way?

Well, you'ld have to start it as a daemon using some sort of rc.d file.
 There doesn't seem to be one supplied with the x11/xdm port, so I guess
you'll have to write your own.  Shouldn't be too difficult -- just copy
and mutate some other relatively simple daemon's rc script.

I think you'll need to put in some work on the Xdm config files, as it
defaults to trying to manage a local display.  Remember too that running
X in plaintext over a network is roughly on a par, security wise, as
running such deprecated services as rsh or rlogin.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3