kernel config =?> kernel code

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Sun Jan 2 21:45:22 UTC 2011

On 01/02/2011 03:07 AM, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> This feels like a really dumb (as in, the answer should be obvious)
> question, but so far it has eluded me:  Given an option name in the
> kernel configuration file, how -- exactly -- does the directive to
> include or exclude that option get translated into particular code
> (source lines, .o files, symbols, etc.) that are thereby included in
> or excluded from the kernel?

This is of interest to me as well, as I have been trying for a while to
create something to avoid building or installing kmods whose
functionality is already built into the kernel proper. The furthest I
got in my investigation was some parsing of sys/conf/files[1].

[1] http://wiki.cyberleo.net/wiki/KnowledgeBase/FreeBSD/srcsysmod_kmod.sh

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo