cshrc to bashrc??

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Jan 1 10:01:35 UTC 2011

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 13:15:45 -0800, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> 	Anybody know if there is a utility that transforms the /root/.cshrc
> 	into a bash RC file?After decades, I'm giving up on the csh stuff.
> 	Need something simpler.

As far as I know, there is no automatic converter for csh -> sh
config files. Basically, the C shell has these:
	- system-wide:
	  /etc/csh.cshrc, /etc/csh.login, /etc/csh.lougout
	- per user:
	  ~/.cshrc, ~/.login, ~/.logout
I'm a csh user for most dialog use, because bash's interactive
abilites force too much interaction (especially regarding
completition) in the default configuration. But I'm more and
more thinking to switch to bash permanently, as soon as I've
beaten bash's misbehaviour out of its source code. :-)

The system's sh uses /etc/profile and .profile in the same
manner. Then there is bash, which I think uses the following
files according to "man bash", section FILES:

	/etc/profile
		The systemwide initialization file,
		executed for login shells
	~/.bash_profile
		The personal initialization file,
		executed for login shells
	~/.bashrc
		The individual per-interactive-shell startup file
	~/.bash_logout
		The individual login shell cleanup file,
		executed when a login shell exits
	~/.inputrc
		Individual readline initialization file

You have to know about the different syntax definition for
both file types, but it's relatively easy.

setenv ENVNAME envstring	-> ENVNAME="envstring"; export ENVNAME
				-> export ENVNAME="envstring"

set VARNAME = 'varstring'	-> VARNAME="varstring"

alias aliname 'alistring'	-> alias aliname="alistring"

All the config files allow regular sh coding sequences (such
as the use of conditionals or iterators).

To get a standard prompt in bash, use this:

	export PS1="\u@\h:\w\$ "

It is the equivalent to csh's

	set promptchars = "%#"
	set prompt = "%n@%m:%~%# "

Note that csh does automatically use % or # according to the
first setting. I'm not sure how bash handles this.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany