How can I implement true vps with FreeBSD as a host?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat Jan 1 05:29:55 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Da Rock
<freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au> wrote:
> Have you checked into Xen specifically and how it works? I think you're
> where I was at a while ago, and a little investigation will change your
> mind. FWIW Xen is a hypervisor, and platforms need to be able to run in it,
> not the other way around. Have a read up on it anyway.
>
> What you want I think is something like VirtualBox- comparatively slower,
> but about the best for what it is. The only other in the same league as VBox
> is linux-kvm (6:7 between them).

It's not entirely true that an OS has to have support for Xen to run
under it.  It's true for paravirtualized guests.  However, if your
hardware has VT-x support Xen can do full virtualization.  It's not as
fast as paravirtualization, but I'm successfully using it on one
system to run an unmodified Windows XP installation as a guest OS.

What's unique about VirtualBox is it can do full virtualization on old
hardware that doesn't have VT-x support.