optical driver with ahci bios mode but ata(4) driver

David Demelier demelier.david at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 19:32:35 UTC 2011

Hello,

My bios can be set to use IDE emulation or ahci mode, I prefere the ahci
mode because it's a bit faster.

It's probably stupid to stay with ata(4) driver with the ahci mode,
isn't it? But with ahci(4) driver you can't burn with burncd(8) and
cdrecord just fail and break an blank cd for nothing.

I guess this is the correct behavior when trying to use burncd(8) /
cdcontrol(1) :

markand at Melon ~ $ burncd msinfo
burncd: ioctl(CDIOREADTOCHEADER): Input/output error

markand at Melon ~ $ cdcontrol info
cdcontrol: getting toc header: Input/output error
cdcontrol: Input/output error

But why the optical drive is only affected? If I use ata(4) driver even
with ahci mode set in the bios, why the hard drive works pretty well?

Kind regards,

--
David Demelier