Backtick versus $()

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Feb 25 01:42:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 08:36:53PM -0430, Andres Perera wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Chip Camden
> <sterling at camdensoftware.com> wrote:
> > Quoth Andres Perera on Thursday, 24 February 2011:
> >
> > [snip]
> >>
> >> no, let's start by looking at the SOURCE CODE REPOSITORY instead of
> >> WIKIPEDIA you DROOLING BUFFOON
> >>
> > [snip]
> >
> >> if you disagree then you are retarded and the exchange concludes
> >>
> > [snip]
> >
> > Resorting to personal insults doesn't help make your case.  There is
> > fertile ground for discussion here if you'd only look for it.
>
> nor does insulting you (which is very easy) invalidate the other lines
> of text

That wasn't me.  I could make some insulting references to failings of
yours that resulted in this mistake on your part, but I really do not
think that's necessary.  It is much more fun to just watch you
self-destruct.

By the way, it may not invalidate the other lines of text, but it does
rather effectively eclipse them.

The other lines of text are essentially invalidated by their own lack of
reasoned argumentation, anyway.

> you are sidestepping, again

Again, that wasn't me.

> how about you admit the whole discussion is a little over your head?

Still wasn't me.

> specially your claim of ls-F not being tcsh (sad that i know more
> about your shell than you do)

Not only was it not me to whom you replied here, but I did not claim that
"ls-F" is not "tcsh".  Read *my* actual reply for the explanation of
where you went flying off into never-never-right-land on that one.

> > --
> > Sterling (Chip) Camden | sterling at camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
> > http://chipsquips.com  | http://camdensoftware.com   | http://chipstips.com
> >

> btw, would you stop putting ads on your signature? it's annoying

How can you take note of the content of his signature block enough to
comment on it like that without noticing it's nothing like my own
signature block?  Mine is below.  Compare, and try to remember that you
look like an asshole to more than one person here.

> even more so when combined with your sad display of ignorance

Nope -- not me this time, either.

> thanks

I wonder if Sterling Camden will offer a "you're welcome" to your hostile
reception.