bash can not find most of my commands

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Feb 22 20:49:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:07:54AM -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
>
> It turns out auto-completion with hinting and command history
> searching are pretty addictive if you're used to having them. :)

I have auto-completion, and I know my environment well enough that hints
aren't generally helpful.

> Personally, I usually just use sudo, or run bash as my first command
> after gaining root powers.  But it's very interesting to finally find
> out what "toor" is for.  I'd always wondered.

Glad to be of some help.

Just do us all a favor; don't write code in bash.  Use Bourne shell (sh,
not bash), or a "real" programming language (Perl, Ruby, Python,
whatever).  The bash option essentially tries to capture the power of
such "real" languages, but does a very bad job of it -- and gives up the
nigh-universal portability across Unix-like systems to do so.  It's the
worst of all worlds.