variable line-display pager?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun Feb 20 22:26:43 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 08:26:32AM -0700, Warren Block wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011, Gary Kline wrote:

> >>xterm -geometry 80x18 -e 'less -N /var/log/Xorg.0.log'
> >>
> >>Why 18 to get 15 lines?  One line for the less prompt, maybe two for
> >>the title bar on my system.
> >

> >	EGAD!  Did I _really_ type 80x18?  I *,EANT* 80x48 which is the
> >	size of my Konsoles.  Some reason, do not know, my mind gets
> >	Way ahead of my fingers.
>
> You didn't, I did.  An 80x18 geometry xterm provides 16 lines of
> text, one for the less prompt.

	My real aim is to have espeak | aplay running backgrounded and
	then have the text displayed in bite-sized chunks.  The user can
	thus have some huge and maybe boring text Read me him and follow
	with his eyesight.  My espeak script uses the MBROLA voice[s].
	These are good but not perfect.  Thus the more/less of the text.

	A fellow engineer in his mid-70's came over to check out my
	project.  This guy is HOH and his hearing is slowly getting
	worse.  That meant having to adjust the pitch and volume of the
	espeak voice.  What I can hear clearly this guy heard as a jumble
	of mumbles.  ---So one thing I've got to do is, after typing vim
	~/tmp/sentence1,  and playing it is save it away and have it
	easily available for replay after I have adjusted the pitch,
	speech, and other tweaks.

	I'd like to save between 3 and 5 sentences so that I don't have
	to retype the entire thing.  Maybe use the arrow keys to go back
	to the last mid-understood sentence.

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org
          The 7.98a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org