How to forward old root mails to an external email address?

Andy Wodfer wodfer at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 22:39:39 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 11:14 PM, RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 22:39:59 +0100
> Andy Wodfer <wodfer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I already tried something similare, but I keep getting command not
> > found for formail. I was hoping there was a way of doing this without
> > installing additional software - just use what comes with a default
> > FreeBSD installation.
>
> formail is installed as part of the procmail package. Check for typos
> and that PATH is set correctly.

Cool. Procmail is now installed, but the procmail.rc file, should that be
placed under root's home folder ie /root/procmail.rc or another user? I
assume root since Daniel's command doesn't specify any users?

That would mean I'm logged in as root, run the command, formail sends all
mails to procmail which sees the alias in procmail rc and sends the mails
out? Correct?

Cheers,
Andreas