Best Laptop to buy for Freebsd Without OS?

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 18 03:24:01 UTC 2011

On Thu 17 Feb 2011 at 10:43:24 PST Jorge Biquez wrote:
>Hello all.
>
>I am evaluating to buy a new laptop for using it only with Freebsd. I
>know in the website mention some options. Thing is that here the most
>powerful ones (I3, I5 I7) are sold ONLY with Windows installed and
>that increase the value of the equipment. I want the best option at a
>nice price (could be Intel or AMD) the ide is to have it as my main
>machine and when I need Linux or Windows have them there running
>under VirtualBox. The use will be mainly for web development.
>
>My idea is to buy it with FreeDos or Linux installed or without
>operating system but here there is not an option for powerful
>equuipment unless you want one with Atom processor. The powerful one
>came ONLY with Windows installed.
>I am thinking to ask a friend that travels frequently to USA to buy one for
>me.
>
>Any suggestion of where and what equipment to buy, without OS (Windows)
>preinstalled? Of course at a good price and the most powerful one.

Does it have to be new?

The best deal might be to get a used laptop.  Then it doesn't matter
what it originally shipped with, all you care about is whether it's on
the FreeBSD hardware compatibility list.

Along these lines, I've seen many people recommending used ThinkPads.
Might not be powerful enough for the latest Windows, but more than
capable for running a BSD.