google browser?

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Wed Feb 16 16:05:45 UTC 2011

Quoth Devin Teske on Wednesday, 23 July 2008:
> On Feb 16, 2011, at 12:39 AM, Mihai Donțu wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 16 February 2011 09:09:44 Gary Kline wrote:
> >> Anybody know how to use this "Chrome"?  I don't see any places to
> >> plug in players ... like vlc, etc.  Can't find and back/Forward
> >> icons, nothing like firefox....    I give it all three thumbs
> >> down.....
> >>
> >> Would still like to see GOOG have its own "twitter" and "facebook"
> >> tho.....
> >>
> >> Anybody else have the browser on FBSD??
> >
> > I haven't tried it, but maybe it works under the FreeBSD Linux emulation. I
> > found some build hints here too: http://wiki.freebsd.org/Chromium , however it
> > definitely needs some love from a dedicated FreeBSD developer.
> >
> > I use Google Chrome (or Chromium - depends on how bleeding edge I want to be)
> > on Linux. I'm amazed by the speed with which the project progresses and the
> > incredible feel of the browser itself.
>
> I've heard certain noises on this list that the current port-maintainer of Chromium has dropped the ball (not my words, just paraphrasing the sentiment from the below thread).
>
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=890197+893402+/usr/local/www/db/text/2010/freebsd-questions/20101231.freebsd-questions
>
> The OP's concerns about security vulnerabilities (though voiced over 30 days ago) still appear to be of concern (that is to say, nothing appears to have changed except some _minor_ work on January 18th this year by rene).
>
> However, Freshports still has a less-than-favorable status for this port: http://www.freshports.org/www/chromium/
>
> Now... that being said, I have a co-worker that is running Chromium every day on FreeBSD-8.1 and he's very happy with it. Though, given the above consideration, both him and I have decided to _not_ deploy this browser in production (at least until we can get some love on those vulnerabilities).
>
> So, I guess I'd like to throw the query out there...
>
> If you had to pick between Firefox and Chrome for distribution to >1000 FreeBSD systems running 8.1 in production... which would you choose? We're heavily leaning toward Firefox, but would love to hear other's opinions of Chrome (if it requires Linux emulation, that may be a death-knell, leaving Firefox the only real choice???).

The chromium port does not require Linux emulation.  Generally, I prefer
chrome over firefox from the standpoint of performance and reliability,
but the security issues in the port have put me off it.  Meanwhile,
I've become rather dependent on the Vimperator and GreaseMonkey
extensions for Firefox, so I'm unlikely to change back to chrome even
when its security issues are finally sorted.

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden | sterling at camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://chipsquips.com  | http://camdensoftware.com   | http://chipstips.com