script help

erikmccaskey64 erikmccaskey64 at zoho.com
Tue Feb 15 08:57:02 UTC 2011

my little opinion: first run the changes on a backup, or a copy of the files:

this one works under linux bash fedora:
how to create a "shadow" of a folder [same filenames in another dir, but with 0 Byte size]

in the original, "A" directory:
find . -type f > a.txt

"B" directory:
cat ../a.txt | while read file; do if [[ "$file" = */* ]]; then mkdir -p "${file%/*}"; fi; touch "$file"; done

so if something goes wrong, there would be no trouble

---- Be Mon, 14 Feb 2011 15:11:19 -0800 Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com> írta ----

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Jack L. Stone <jacks at sage-american.com>wrote:

> Hello folks:
>
> No doubt this will be easy for those with scritping abilities.
>
> I have a gazillion files by the same name and each contains the same line
> requiring the same change. But the problem is that they are in many
> different directories on a server with numerous domains. While I could
> handle the change using a single directory within my abilities, I'm unsure
> how to do a search and replace throughout the many domains and their
> directories. Don't want to mess up. Here's what I'm trying to do:
>
> # find all of the same filenames (copyright.htm) and then replace the year
> 2010 with 2011 in each file. Once I have a working script, I should be able
> to add it as a cron job to run on the first day of each new year.
>
> Any help appreciated.

/usr/ports/misc/rpl

--
Adam Vande More